Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Monkey Swap Questionnaire

As if I don't have enough to do, I've found an excuse to knit another pair of Monkeys! Sign-ups for the third Monkey Swap are open until August 31 on the ( Monkey Sock Swap website).

The basics:
Do you consider yourself a beginning sock knitter, an intermediate, or have you been doing this so long you could probably knit a pair in your sleep?
I've now knit 5 full pairs of adult socks, most top down, but have done toe up, including short row shaping. I've done some lace patterns in there too, so maybe intermediate?

The measurements:
Shoe Size:
UK size 7
Foot circumference: 24 cm/9.5 inches
Foot length: 25 cm/9.75 inches
Ankle circumference: 25 cm/9.75 inches. I love my Monkeys, but if I were to make them for me again, I would do the cuff in a bigger needle size, since I can't pull them up. (UPDATE 17-8-07: On closer inspection and through extensive discussion with the Sock Knitter Extraordinaire at Knit Group last night, I would do the ribbing and the first two or three pattern repeats in a bigger needle as they are actually fine around the ankle, it's just my Russian-Shot-Putter calves that are challenging!)

Yarn Preferences:
What colors do you love?

Pretty much most of them! I do particularly like green and purple, but don't feel constrained by these!
Do you prefer solids or variegated?
Don't mind.
Do you prefer wool, cotton or acrylic yarn?
Not acrylic. Don't mind anything else, I am prepared to hand wash!
What colors would you never wear?
Black or navy solid (white cats) and white solid (white cats who haven't learnt to wipe their paws yet)
What are your favorite brands of yarn?
Haven't met a sock yarn I didn't like yet! I particularly like LazyKate yarns and Emily sockweight by Posh Yarn

Are there any new brands you would like to try?
Lorna's Laces, it's very pricey here in the UK!

Cookie A. Patterns:
Which of her patterns have you already knit?
Monkey
Which pattern(s) would you like to knit and don’t already own?
Flicker, Thelonius or Mona. I can shorten the cuff or use bigger needles. I don't wear knee socks, and I think my calves would be too big for Cookie's patterns anyway!

Other pertinent information:
Would you be willing to have an international Monkey Pal or do you prefer one in the US?
Anywhere is fine.
Do you have any allergies?
No, but I don't like cigarette smoke.
Will your knitting be exposed to smoke or animals?
I have cats. I take every effort to keep yarn and knitting away from them, but it is impossible to keep my knitting 100% cat-hair free. I will not be a suitable partner for anyone with a cat allergy. No one in my house smokes and now that smoking is banned in enclosed public spaces in the UK, my knitting is unlikely to ever come into contact with cigarette smoke.
Are you on Ravelry yet? If you don’t mind having new friends, what is your Ravelry name?
Still waiting for my invite...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from your monkey pal!!! Hope all is well with you. - Monkey Pal :)