Thursday, May 18, 2006

Favourite Words

So what's your favourite word?

After the staff meeting today, two colleagues were laughing hilariously at me, as I used one of my "little sayings". Don't know why, but I seem to cause mirth wherever I go with those two (thanks, you know who you are!!). Anyway, we then overheard someone else say that they had ameliorated a problem and I commented that it wasn't a word I really used. That set us off about words and I've been rolling a few around my head ever since. Here, in no particular order, are some of my favourite words:

discombobulate (and discombobulation), pizzicato, obfuscate, vapid, aspire, gloriana, flocculation, lintel, omnicompetent (I wish!), onomatopoeia, pizzle, campanologist, nesh, fruttivendolo (Italian for greengrocer)

No particular reason for any of them apart from the way they sound. Some of them in particular are words that I would love to use more often, but are really difficult to work into a conversation with adults, let alone 6 and 7 year olds.

A tells me his favourite word is phlegmatic, which make me laugh, because he just isn't.

So, I ask again, what's yours?

No comments: